Friday, February 3, 2012

Contemporary Asian cuisine hey? Maybe they have chicken balls!!

It has been way too long since I’ve written anything, and that’s not to assume we haven’t been going out. We sure have, I’ve got a ton of entries to post. Let’s go way back to October when Mike, Larry, Megan and myself went to Fire Kirin. Sounds too fancy (read: ethnic) for me hey? But I was game and Larry had been before and enjoyed it so let’s give it a go! It was a surprise for Mike as well so he was pretty impressed, and worried for me, when we pulled in the parking lot. Then we both were worried about how the two wheelchairs will fit in the place. But Lare and the staff assured us that they do have chairs in often. What a convoluted entrance way. I was convinced Larry was gonna take out a support beam on his drive in. But, we made it, intact to our table. At 5 pm on a Thursday night we were the only table in the whole joint. There were probably 5 staff working and us 4 guests. LOL. Our menus were handed out and I went for the standard bottle of Canadian. (Nothing on tap here). I may have been the only person in months to order it – it was skunky as all get out. Let me have a sip of Mike’s Sapporo. OOHHH I like this one! I’ll have three more over the evening. Turns out I also like Tsing Tsao! Look at me getting all adventurous on my beer selection  When it comes to ordering dinner, I am determined to try something new, so I go for the Orange Honey glazed shrimp. Now that may not seem fancy to anyone else, but I’ve never been a big seafood fan. (Captain Highliner was my only fish adventures growing up). So I’ll bet you’re wondering what else came with the dish? Some risotto, or a mushroom stir-fry… nope. Hahah. Plain white rice and steamed broccoli. SCORE! Hey, I’ve had 2 new kinds of beer and a shrimp main dish, let’s not get crazy.

Mike had a curry bowl, as did Larry and both guys found them to be pretty decent. Mike is pretty anal about his Thai food, and how its prepared, so this wasn’t exactly up to snuff. But for a restaurant that brands itself as “ Contemporary Asian” it did the trick. Now Megan’s dish was another story. She went with the Malaysian Egg roll. Imagine an egg crepe and plain rice and maybe 5 pieces of shrimp. Now roll it up. That’s it. No side, no sauce. Just the same bite every single time. And it is as big as the plate is, so that’s a lot of the same shitty tasting bite. Poor Megan. But maybe let’s move on to dessert and see if that redeems Megan’s opinion.
Deep-fried Banana with coconut ice cream. This was pretty disgusting. I made some comments that aren’t appropriate to post on here, but let’s say I didn’t like it.
Here is my breakdown of the evening then. Location: good if you’re the driver; Shitty if you take transit. Atmosphere: Nicely decorated, pretty small, not busy at all, washrooms are pretty terrible. You know the kind when you shut the door, but it doesn’t line up correctly so anyone walking by could glance in and C.U.P. Service was good… only good because a few time we really needed something and he was nowhere around. Food was mediocre as an average of our 5 dishes. Mike’s end of a meal question, as we have learned by now is “would you go back?” and my initial answer is no. But my crazy-ass uncle suggests it when we try to meet for dinner, so I have a feeling I’ll be back. But I promise I won’t order the same thing, I’ll try something new again, and I swear I’m not ordering that weird ass dessert!

Fire Kirin Contemporary Asian Cuisine on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment